“The Star” , an animated movie, retells the Christmas Story from the perspective of the animals involved. In Nazareth, a mill donkey named Bo dreams of being a part of the royal caravan. Meanwhile, Mary is visited by an angel that tells her she will be the mother of the Messiah. This miraculous situation is also witnessed by a mouse named Abby.
The overall movie retells the Christmas story while respecting the main purpose of the story, which is the birth of Jesus and the events leading up to it. The characters at this time feel like they need to “follow the star”, as they sense it might be important. This event brings together characters from different walks of life.
Mary and Joseph go through several moments on their journey where they are unsure of what will happen. But Mary says, “Just because God has a plan doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy.” Through this we are reminded that God cares for us and knows what is best for us. Proverbs 3:5-6 reminds us:
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths”.
In the movie, Joesph helps Mary through many challenges. At the same time, through changing decisions, Dave proves to be a loyal friend to Bo. He sticks around regardless of what decision he makes about the royal caravan. And with this, Bo puts his dreams on hold in order to help Mary.
- What can you do to help and support someone you know, even if you do not agree with them?
- Do you make space for new people who come into your life at Christmas?
- Do you go out of your way during the holiday season to help others?
- Why do we think of helping others more at Christmas than other times of the year?
- Have you experienced times when you are not sure what is going to happen, or how to make an important decision? Who do you rely on at these times?
- What does it mean to “follow the star” in our world today?
Help us to help each other Voices Together 722
Away in a Manger VT 257
What child is this VT 267
God, we are grateful that you care so much for us. You know us better than anybody else. Sometimes we do not know what to do, or how to make decisions. When we are struggling to know what to do, surround us with your love, through the people around us. Remind us that your plan for our lives is even better than the plans we envision for the future. Open our hearts to new perspectives that strengthen our faith, and help us to see the world with greater understanding. For we are your hands and feet on this earth reaching out to care for others.